I-9 & E-Verify Compliance
Hiring employees and verifying their employment eligibility is far from simple. Employers today face extensive and fluctuating regulatory requirements under U.S. law. Failure to fully comply, including maintaining the proper documentation, can bring significant civil and/or criminal penalties. By taking action now, employers can dramatically reduce their liability for past actions and set up effective systems for the road ahead. WSM helps employers navigate the compliance landscape in these ways:
From Katy's interview for the Masters of Immigration Law series on ReelLawyers.com
- Conducting onsite I-9 self-audits and advising on corrective action.
- Providing practical, customized I-9 training, including:
- The ins-and-outs of completing the form
- When and how to reverify work authorization
- When to retire I-9s to limit liability
- How to establish internal processes that work
- How to ensure consistency and prevent discrimination
- Advising on the E-Verify program, including potential benefits for F-1 STEM employees and requirements for federal contractors.
- Providing assistance in the event of a government I-9 audit by ICE or another agency.
Here are some valuable links for employers:
News Alert Signup